Sunday 30 June 2013

The decision to move

This is the first of many posts about my moving and eventually, having moved, to Playa del Carmen in Mexico.

To bring you up to speed: I left work last December (2012) to take some time out. I had remained in the job for far longer than I had originally planned and wanted something new and different.

After getting over my extended Christmas holiday I found myself signing on for unemployment benefit for a few weeks until an old boss of mine emailed and asked if I wanted a 6 month contract. The job was far removed from what I was doing before and having always believed in the saying 'a change is as good as a rest' I went to see him to discuss the role and the terms of the contract. I started in February and now there's just 2 months left of my contract. So, it got me wondering... what next?

I have to admit that I am not much of a traveller. I like my home comforts and to be able to have a place to call home. Don't get me wrong, I've been to some amazing places in my lifetime and explored each of them with the little time I had, which was usually a maximum of two weeks at a time. I learned to dive in Akumal, Mexico, near Playa del Carmen and fell in love the place the first time I visited. Yes, I was staying in plush 4 or 5 star resorts, but it wasn't the resorts I fell for. It was the towns, the local areas, wildlife... it was everything outside of the resort I loved. I could see myself living there. I made up my mind and decided to start the process of moving to Playa del Carmen. I would live off savings until they ran out and then come home or decide on my next move.

So, the adventure starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment